What Information to Bring When You First Meet With an Architect
Have you been dreaming of your own personally designed home? Perhaps you love beautiful design, or are sick of the cookie cutter houses in development estates, or are finding that nothing on the market suits your needs, or want to live in a sustainable house and can’t find one. It sounds like an architect-designed home could be the right path for you.
If you haven’t had your heart set on this for awhile then it can be a daunting decision not knowing what to expect. Let us break the first steps down for you so that you understand how the process works.
Firstly, call our office and book an appointment with our director, Adrian, who will discuss your project with you. This meeting takes place in our office in Northbridge and is complementary. The purpose of this meeting is for us to get an understanding of what you want from your new home. If you have a site already – great! Bring a print out of the survey if you’d like, or even Google Maps satellite view, or even just the total site area and boundary sizes. If you don’t have a site yet, this is perfectly okay – and actually can be beneficial (read our article here on Do You Really Need to Have a Site Before You Meet With an Architect?). Otherwise, the information we need you to provide us are the major requirements that you want from your house. At this meeting we won’t go into detail such as what finishes that you want, this is just for high level requirements. Here are some questions you can ask yourself:
- – How many bedrooms and bathrooms do I want?
- – What are the main characteristics of my lifestyle? (Eg. Do you spend most of your day outdoors, or are you a budding Masterchef, or can you be found toiling away in your garage every day?)
- – Do you have any ”must-have” requirements in making your home sustainable? Is your aim to be as sustainable as possible? Is your aim to reduce running costs?
- – What spaces are your most important areas?
- – Do you want a garage/pool/large alfresco area?
- – Do I have a unique aesthetic preference?
- – Is there anything that is essential to your home working for you? Eg. Storage space, a scullery, a reading nook, being able to see the backyard from the kitchen etc.
- – What is my budget?
Feel free to bring along some housing inspiration that captures the sort of space that you are trying to achieve. We will discuss all of this with you, and you are free to ask as many questions as you need from us. After this meeting, we will put together a proposal for you and we can go from there. So what are you waiting for? Call us today, on (08) 9463 0850.